The Parish Council
History of Warsop Parish Council
The Local Government Act, 1858, was adopted for the parish of Warsop in 1863, when it was decided that the number of persons to be elected as members of the Local Board should be six. The first meeting was held on 7th September, 1863, when Richard Henry FitzHerbert Esq. was elected the first Chairman. Under the Local Government Act, 1894 the Urban District Council was constituted and the number of members increased to twelve by order of the County Council, one third retiring each year. The first meeting of the Council was held on 2nd January, 1895.
The Inaugural Meeting of Warsop Parish Council was held on Monday 26th November, 1973 where it was stated that in relation to the invitation by the Local Government Boundary Commission for England, the Warsop Urban District Council had authorised an application for the Urban District to be constituted as a Parish, and it was pleasing to note the application had been granted since under the Local Government (Successor Parishes) Order, 1973, which came into operation on 6th July, 1973, the Warsop Parish Council was formed. The members of the Warsop Urban District Council also became members of the Parish Council under Paragraph 13 (2) of Schedule 3 to the Local Government Act, 1972. This first meeting was, therefore, a momentous occasion in the further Historic life of Warsop, since by the formation of a Parish under Local Government Reorganisation the Community of Warsop remained intact with a separate function and definite ideas for the future well-being of its inhabitants, within the larger District of Mansfield, the name given to the New District Council, comprising the Borough of Mansfield, together with the Urban Districts of Mansfield Woodhouse and Warsop.
The Parish Council to this day is run with 12 members and holds 10 meetings per year which public are invited to. Mansfield District Council own most of the Parish with exception of the Town Hall and High Street car park, which the Parish Council purchased to ensure that the building would not be demolished and the land sold off for development same as the car park.
The Parish Council is non-political and works solely for the good of the community, they fought to save our swimming pool, the fire station and a police contact point. They work with numerous community groups and support the Carnival each year both financially and running it from the Town Hall.
They work as a pressure group to ensure Warsop gets its fair share of services. Many of them sit on various committees helping to pull the community together.
They also offer small grants to community groups under section 137.
There are 4 wards:
Mansfield District Council
Warsop Carrs: Cllr Andy Burgin.
Meden: Cllr Andy Wetton.
Market Warsop: Cllr Jack Stephenson.
Warsop Carrs: Cllr Andy Burgin.
Netherfield: Cllr Derek Scaysbrook, Cllr Karen Hardy.
Market Warsop: Cllr Glynn Morris, Cllr Jack Stephenson & Cllr Debra Barlow.
Meden: Cllr Andy Wetton, Cllr Grant Simpson, Cllr Roy Butler.
Councillor Karen Hardy - Chairperson
14 Church Close, Church Warsop, Mansfield, Notts, NG20 0SA
Tel: 07377 767 312
Councillor Debra Barlow - Vice-Chairperson
78 Hamilton Drive, Market Warsop, Notts. NG20 0EY
Tel: 07984 604 436
Councillor Andrew Burgin - District Councillor
57 Sycamore Street, Church Warsop, Mansfield, Notts, NG20 0TL
Tel: 07843 675765
Councillor Andy Wetton - District Councillor
11b Sherwood Street, Market Warsop, Mansfield, Notts, NG20 OJP
Tel: 01623 842 138
Councillor Roy Butler
6 The Hawthorns, Warsop, Mansfield, Notts, NG20 0DP
Tel: 01623 842 605
Councillor Grant Simpson
3 Short Street, Warsop, Mansfield, Notts, NG20 OQD
Tel: 07949 548 755
Councillor Glynn Morris
15 Bentinck Terrace, Warsop, Notts, NG20 0LF
Tel: 07973 870 986
Councillor Derek Scaysbrook
2 Kneesal Close, Meden Vale, NG20 9QE
Tel: 07398 916 480
Councillor Jack Stephenson - District Councillor
15 The Wickets, Warsop, Mansfield, Notts, NG20 0GY
Tel: 07521 760 332
Mrs Amanda Cooper
Warsop Parish Council, Town Hall, Church Street, Market Warsop, Mansfield, Notts, NG20 OAL
Tel: 01623 846 011 / 07869 725 227