Back to Top

Meeting Minutes 20 March 2017

MINUTES of the Parish Council meeting held on MONDAY 20th MARCH, 2017 at 6.30pm upstairs in the Council Chamber, Town Hall.

Present:

Cllrs A. Wetton – Chairman (MDC), J. Allin – Vice-Chairman (NCC), J. Kerr (MDC), S. Adey (MDC), S. Dale, A. Burgin (MDC), J. Brealey, D. Barlow & R. Butler.
10 members of public.
Sergeant Neil Priestley.
Neighbourhood Warden Adrian Tinklin.
Cllrs D. Saunders (MDC – Portfolio Holder for Regeneration) & A. Tristram (MDC – Portfolio Holder for Environment).

Minutes

9612. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST BY MEMBERS BOTH PECUNIARY AND NON-PECUNIARY

Big Warsop Partnership - Cllr. J. Cockroft.
Warsop Town Hall Management Group - Cllrs. J. Kerr, S. Moody and J. Allin.
Warsop Carnival - Cllr. J. Cockroft, S. Moody and S. Adey.
SOS - Cllrs. S. Moody and J. Kerr.
CCTV - Cllr. J. Allin.
Age Concern - Cllr. J. Allin.
Welbeck Colts - Cllr. A. Wetton.
Market Warsop Players - Cllr. S. Moody.
Meden Vale the Future - Cllrs. J. Allin and J. Kerr.
Warsop Youth Club - Cllrs. S. Moody and J. Cockroft.
Friends of the Carrs - Cllr. J. Kerr.
Warsop's Real Poppy Campaign - Cllr L. Davies.
Assoc of Labour Councillors - Cllrs. A. Wetton, J. Allin, J. Kerr, S. Moody and S. Adey.
Inner Wheel - Cllr. J. Brearley.
Christmas Market - Cllr. J. Cockroft.
Let Warsop Speak - Cllrs D. Barlow & R. Butler.

Apologies:

Cllrs L. Davies, S. Moody and J. Cockroft.


9613. MINUTES OF THE PUBLIC MEETING - Friday 17th February, 2017

Accepted as a true record.

9614. MINUTES OF PARISH COUNCIL MEETING – Monday 20th February, 2017

Accepted as a true record.

9615. CRIME AND DISORDER

Sgt Neil Priestley gave an update on crime figures since the last meeting.

Burglary dwelling 3 – An increase in new builds and renovated properties
Burglary other 4 – 2 sheds overnight & 2 business premises in the early hours.
Vehicle crime 4 – 3 thefts from vehicles (includes 2 vans) & 1 theft of a number plate.
Theft of vehicle 1 – owner’s son was responsible.
Criminal damage 3 – relating to houses. 3 arrests have been made in relation to car door mirror being broken.
He stated PCSO Eyre and Darby are on rest days but a report has been done by PCSO Dee Eyre for this meeting.
The report said they have been looking into vehicles with no tax or insurance and 2 vehicles have been ceased over the weekend.
There have been some anti-social behaviour issues regarding youths climbing on roofs of local shops. The Brewery has been contacted due to youths using the Talbot to gain access to shop roofs.
There has been an increase in hate related incidents with youths, they are working with the Holocaust Centre as mentioned at the previous meeting.
The children’s parks on Carr Lane and the Carrs have had smashed glass on them.
He stated the off-road bike team were out yesterday but he hasn’t received a report yet.
He reiterated that the public should report any incidents to 101.

Warden Adrian Tinklin stated that they have been diverting groups of youths gathering on High Street and outside the Co-op to the parks. They will be monitoring the situation and patrolling the area.
He said they are working on solving the issues with all the vans on Watson Street.
The dog fouling issue is still ongoing, patrols are being done to try and catch people. They are also trying to set up visits to schools so they can hopefully get the children to pass the message on to parents.

Cllr Barlow asked Adrian if he stops dog walkers to ask if they have dog bags with them.
Adrian said he does stop people and he asks to see the dog bags because there is a fine if people don’t have them while walking their dog.

Cllr Barlow also spoke about the skate park and if the lights were to be turned on again. She said residents from the area whose properties back on to the skate park are fearful of their properties being damaged, making complaints and even turning their lights in their homes. She stated the fencing has been pulled down and members of public have mentioned there was mattress which was set on fire. She asked what more can be done other than more patrols.

Cllr Kerr asked Adrian about the camera near the skate park and if they can use that to catch the people who are causing trouble.
Adrian said he has asked about positioning the cameras on certain areas, and they will do that but only for a couple of hours due to having to monitor other areas. He said he will ask if we can monitor that area more with the camera.
Cllr Kerr said after the last meeting when PCSO Dee Eyre mentioned the skate park, he went to have a look for himself. He said the gates were still locked and the side panels had been taken down. He stated while he was there he moved on 4 youths but the mess that was left was terrible.

Cllr Adey stated she reported the fencing issue 2 months ago, and she asked for a gate and some blackberry bushes to be planted.

Cllr Adey asked Sgt Priestley if we could trace the people who stole the copper piping if they took it to a scrap man because bank details are required.
Sgt Priestley stated they conduct regular checks but it only works if everyone is following the rules.
Cllr Adey also asked if she could have the statistics on domestic violence as it was mentioned that there was an increase 6 months ago.
Sgt Priestley said he will look into this and try to get the relevant information.

Sgt Priestley answered Cllr Barlow’s point from earlier. He said they have operations running on Friday with a PCSO and a Warden and on Saturday with 2 Wardens. He will get them to monitor the skate park. He spoke about the lighting at the skate park and if the light was on, it may make the situation better or it could attract more people to the area.

Cllr Kerr suggested the skate park be moved nearer to the BMX track away from the houses.

Cllr Dale spoke about people looking down other people’s drives when they are walking their dogs or driving vans slowly down his street. He said one of his neighbours saw someone walking off his drive with a gate but he stated he hadn’t checked if the gate was missing.
Sgt Priestley reiterated to Cllr Dale that he must report any incident to 101 at the time so it can help to build a picture for the police.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

A member of public asked if the council are aware that the Stonebridge planning application is due to go to the planning committee soon.

A gentleman wanted to raise his concerns about the skate park as he lives close to it. He wanted to know if the council would stop spending money on the skate park as previously warned if more damage occurred. He also asked if the camera near the skate park is working and recording.

Eric Hill stated after his complaint at the last meeting regarding Hazel Gap anti-social behaviour issues, the area was cleaned up and monitored. He wanted to pass on his thanks to those who dealt with his official complaint and issues.
He also read through a report for the 106 agreement for Moorfield Farm Estate. He made comments on not needing anymore litter bins, benches and trees but thought the footpaths were in need of repair. He said they are currently working on a renovation project and he asked if the Parish Council would write a letter of support.
Finally, he spoke about some damage that occurred while the re-silting was being done a few years ago, and that he wouldn’t like to see any of the 106 monies used to rectify this, he stated it should be a separate scheme that deals with it.

Another member of public wanted to make the council aware that trees are being taken down. He has made enquires and several complaints but hasn’t received any answers.

A member of public asked the council who owns the fence around the new estate.

Mrs Hogg asked if the skate park/ park is supposed to be locked at night. She also stated that Cllr Adey’s idea of a gate is good, she didn’t think residents would want to have people coming through the estate.

A member of public asked if Adrian would patrol the riverbanks and stop people fishing out of season.

9616. MATTERS ARISING FROM PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

The Chairman stated the Stonebridge planning application isn’t on the planning portal and he wasn’t aware of it coming to committee. He said the LWS group should be prepared either way.
Cllr Adey said she emailed democratic services but there has been no response.
Cllr Barlow stated LWS have heard that it’s likely to be heard on the 3rd April. She said she was concerned as there are a few outstanding issues that haven’t been addressed and it has come to my attention over the weekend that similar ecological issues remain outstanding from the Goose Farm Estate along the riverbank area. These issues have been or are under the jurisdiction of the same officers at MDC, namely Mike Avery and Martyn Saxton.
She said they still haven’t had a response why Mike Avery signed away the right to an EIA before the planning application had been submitted. It appears he used only one criteria which was the amount of housing to be sited. An email has today been received from Bev Smith today stating that Martyn Saxton will respond to this.
Since July 16 LWS have repeatedly informed MDC both through the planning portal and via email that a protected species, slow worm is present in the Sookholme filed, along with grass snakes. According to the ecological survey, the habitat isn’t suitable for reptiles and yet according to reptile experts it is a prefect habitat along the railway embankment. No acknowledgement of our concerns has appeared and yet Pegasus have stipulated they have undertaken a robust ecological survey.
These issues have frustrated LWS for nearly a year, and then this weekend I received information stating that the riverbank adjacent to Goose Farm has been forgotten since development. Warsop Footpaths and Countryside Group have been fighting for over 2 years for the enforcement of the EIA to be implemented and yet it continues to be forgotten, even though water voles are present in this area, which are nationally protected. The developers stripped the riverbank of all natural flora and crossed the riparian border. A membrane was inserted to prevent overgrowth of brambles; however, this has also prevented the water voles from burrowing. The Hedgerow was to be replaced with appropriate mixture of native plants, however it was only replanted with Laurel. Officers at MDC have repeatedly stated they will address this but continue to pass the book to others, and nothing has been done. This is very worrying when on the 3rd April there is high possibility that the Stonebridge/Sookholme planning will be passed and all of our concerns relating to the ecological impact of the development to the Hills & Holes will happen as neither the developers or officers of MDC can be trusted to stick to the letter of the law.
The Slow Worms existence will be reported to the wildlife police officer and MDC will be informed of this, and Nott’s Biodiversity Action Group, Nott’s Wildlife Group have been informed among other groups as well.
I am now calling on the Parish Council and Councillors of MDC here present to demand action on Goose Farm riverbank immediately, and a time frame to be agreed. We cannot afford to allow this digression to go unabated when we are facing a more disturbing and larger development adjacent to a SSSI site, and regardless of officers stating it will not affect the Hills and Holes, their inability to address ecological issues satisfactorily speaks for itself.

Sgt Priestley stated that members of public can report issues to the police and they don’t have to leave their personal details and can request not to have a call out. The police would rather know when the incidents are happening and he said the position and timings of the camera can be reviewed.
Adrian said the younger children are using it correctly and that it’s normally the older children causing the ASB issues.
Cllr Kerr stated that Peter Crawford had the camera specifically put up at the skate park.

Sgt Priestley stated that members of public can report issues to the police and they don’t have to leave their personal details and can request not to have a call out. The police would rather know when the incidents are happening and he said the position and timings of the camera can be reviewed.
Adrian said the younger children are using it correctly and that it’s normally the older children causing the ASB issues.
Cllr Kerr stated that Peter Crawford had the camera specifically put up at the skate park.

The Chairman stated that any trees on the highway are the responsibility of NCC and they will be taken down if they are dangerous.
Cllr Adey said it is frustrating waiting for month or getting passed from department to department and getting no answers. She has been in contact with someone at NCC and also spoken to MDC and asked to look at the tree policy. She asked them if they could inform the Parish Council of any tree works taking place.

The Chairman Stated Bellway own the fencing around the new estate.

The Chairman stated the gate was a possibility and its being looked into but understands residents may not find it suitable.

Adrian stated there are dedicated fishing wardens who do patrols around fishing lakes. He said he isn’t sure what powers he would have in order to be able to deal with this, but he can ask people to stop if he sees them.

9617. CPRE NOTTINGHAMSHIRE – BEST KEPT VILLAGE COMPETITON

The Chairman asked the Clerk to send the email with all the details on to all Councillors and they could apply if they so wished.

9618. TOWN HALL

The Clerk gave an update about new volunteers that have started helping cover reception.
A new pump has been fitted to the boilers in the cellar to hopefully help stop the flooding that keeps occurring.
There are two maintenance issues, one is the store room leaking and the other is the Town Hall clock. Three quotes are currently being sought for both issues.

9619. WEBSITE

The Clerk informed the Council that she has a meeting with the Website Designer to discuss some of the Councillors issues.

9620. CARNIVAL

No update due to Cllr Cockroft’s absence.

9621. BIG WARSOP

No updates due to Cllr Cockroft’s absence.

9622. WARSOP & DISTRICT NEWS

No update due to Cllr Moody’s absence.
The Chairman informed members that he had written a piece about the Parish Precept and another regarding Meden Sports Centre.

9623. NEIGHBOURHOOD PLAN

No update due to Cllr Moody’s absence. All Councillors received a new draft copy with suggested additions and removals. They were to take it away and read, so it could be discussed at the next Parish Council meeting.

9624. BANK BALANCES AND ACCOUNTS FOR PAYMENT

Current Account - (As of 21st Feb 17) £48,238.62
(£5000 donation from Bowring Transport Ltd for C.A.B.)
Premier Account (Reserves) - (As of 9th Feb 17) £33,766.86
2 Shires Credit Union (Reserves) - £15,000

All payments were agreed to be paid.

  • Payments already paid:
    • OLB1. Returing officer fee (re issue) - £84.81
    • OLB2. MDC (Christmas tree’s & lights) - £180.00
    • OLB3. MDC (Peter Crawford bench) - £200.00
    • OLB4. MDC (Loan repayment) - £4,664.80
  • Payments due to be paid:
    • V01617. Minster Cleaning - £588.83
    • V01618. Cash – Delivery of W&DNs - £380.00
    • V01619. Cash – Petty Cash - £100.00
    • V01620. Mortons - £1,163.00
    • V01621. Konica Minolta - £188.35
    • V01622. Came & Company - £1,102.89
    • V01623. NALC (Member subscription) - £1,638.43
    • V01624. D2 Studio - £1,000.00

9609. NOTTINGHAMSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL

Cllr Allin informed the Council that he had two more meetings left before the County Councillor elections take place in May. He will be retiring from is County Councillor position.

9610. MANSFIELD DISTRICT COUNCIL

Cllr Butler stated he was starting a petition to abolish the Executive Mayor position.
Cllr Allin said the County Council may be looking at becoming a Unitary Council which would eradicate District/Borough Council’s.

Planning Applications

  • Redbrick Woodland Lodges, Peafield Lane, Warsop - Variation of condition 8 on approved planning application 2008/0283/NT.
  • St Peters & St Pauls church, Bishops Walk, Church Warsop – Works to 1 no tree covered by a tree preservation order – tpo24.
  • St Peters & St Pauls church, Bishops Walk, Church Warsop – Works to 1 no tree covered by a tpo (tpo no 5) and works to 33 no trees in a conservation area.
  • Unit H Former Poultry Unit, Off Netherfield Lane, Meden Vale – Prior notification for change of use of agricultural building to b1 use.
  • 15 Sherwood Street, Warsop – Change of use of first floor office to residential.
  • 125 Mansfield Road, Warsop – Room in roof space including replacement roof with dormer window to rear.

The Carrs

Cllr Kerr stated Peter Crawford’s plaque was now on his bench and the unveiling could now be organised.
Cllr Barlow suggested that Peter’s bench unveiling should be combined with the Green Flag status acknowledgement event.

Meden Baths

The Chairman stated lots of questions were asked and not answered at the Scrutiny Committee meeting. The decision to cease management was called in and then taken to Scrutiny. The next meeting has been moved from Monday 27th March to Thursday 23rd March.

He said councillors who sit on the committee have not been allowed to raise questions yet, or present any evidence. They are still waiting for information and questions to be answered about the pools filtration.
Cllr Barlow stated Mandy Mellor told the Parish Council at a meeting that the filtration hadn’t been changed for over 8 years. She asked if MDC can be held accountable for their mismanagement of the Centre.

Cllr Butler said an officer read out usage figures on the Meden Sports Centre and then later stated that the same figures were incorrect. He asked if there would be any repercussions for the false information.
The Chairman said it be J. Collins (Monitoring Officer) who investigates this. He said he wasn’t happy with the responses given and he would discuss this with Bev Smith.

9611. DATE OF NEXT MEETING

Monday 24th April 2017

Council Pages

Contact

Tel: 01623 846 011
Mob: 07817 216 876