Back to Top

Meeting Minutes 19 September 2016

MINUTES of the Parish Council meeting held on MONDAY 19th SEPTEMBER, 2016 at 6.30pm upstairs in the Council Chamber, Town Hall.

Present:

Cllrs, A. Wetton Chairman(MDC), J. Kerr, (MDC), S. Adey (MDC), J. Brealey, J. Cockroft and S. Dale.
Sergeant Nick Priestley
15 members of public.

Apologies:

Cllrs J. Allin Vice-Chairman (NCC), L. Moody, S. Moody and B. Dawson.

The Chairman asked everyone to stand to observe a minute’s silence for Cllr Peter Crawford who passed away Tuesday 13th September due to his battle with cancer.

The Chairman asked if anyone would like to say a few words about Cllr Crawford.

Cllr Brealey spoke about how Cllr Crawford along with Cllr Kerr encouraged her to become a councillor and this was because of their enthusiasm for the community.

Cllr Kerr explained that not only was Cllr Crawford a colleague but he was his best friend. He spoke about how Peter had been there for him and drove him around when he was ill and not able to drive and then when Cllr Crawford was diagnosed with cancer, Cllr Kerr was then able to do the same for him. He stated that Cllr Crawford was one of the best councillors he had ever met and he did an incredible job as the council’s finance officer, he described him as a small man but a giant in stature and ended by staying that he will miss him very much.

The Chairman stood to give his tribute to Peter. He began by describing Peter as an immense man who served the Parish Council and Mansfield District Council for many years. Peter found his forte as the finance officer and always made sure that the public’s money was spent in the most appropriate way. Whenever Peter was asked to do something he would always make sure that it was done straight away. Peter was an exemplary Councillor who summed up the word councillor, it was always service before self, working right up till the end asking questions from his hospital bed that he requested to be put onto the council agenda. He was a very brave man who was always ‘on the ball’.

The chairman went on to talk about the ‘other side’ to Peter - "he was always a happy man who would end our conversations with ‘our kid’. He was also a keen Man City supporter who would often tease me as I am a United supporter. He lived to have the last laugh however seeing City win in the recent derby".

The chairman closed his tribute by asking for a 30 second clapping session in honour of Peter in true football tradition.

Cllr Kerr reminded the council of Peters legendary whistle.

Minutes

The Chairman opened Crime and Disorder and Public Participation for question and answers between the public, councillors and Sgt Priestley.

9526. CRIME AND DISORDER

The Chairman introduced Sergeant Nick Priestley to give an update to the council.

Sgt Priestley stood and advised the council that he would be doing an overview of incidents within the past month and that he is happy to respond to any questions if he can.

After receiving complaints that the local wardens have not been seen in the parks, the wardens have been patrolling and have issued 3 dog fouling tickets, they have come across 9 fly tipping cases 1 of which have resulted in a fixed penalty notice being given and another where a formal warning has been issued. The police have also issued an ASBO regarding noise.
5 thefts have been reported, 3 of which have been vans, which at the moment seem to be a target. Sgt Priestley makes a plea for the public to make sure that their vehicles are being locked over night as this is a huge preventative of vehicle theft and theft within vehicles.

1 Burglary has been reported, this was theft of a boiler and pipe work from a new development. 11 criminal damage incidents, which was a mixture of fences, street furniture and parks. 6 fires have been set and some of these the police have obtained names for responsibility however due to lack of evidence no arrests have been made.

And finally, 11 untaxed vehicles have been caught and 1 concern of cannabis growing has been dismantled.

Cllr Sharon Adey asked if there was any update on the motorbikes which race around?

Sgt Priestley asked if she was referring to off road bikes or registered bikes?

Cllr Adey answered - both.

Sgt Priestly replied stating that the off road bike team who have the correct equipment and power of prosecution have been working hard and will continue to do so, the next date of the local patrol is the 2nd October however if there is any specific days, times or areas that are felt to be an issue, specific targeting can be arranged.

Cllr J. Cockroft began to speak about issues within certain wards of the Parish where gangs are carrying BB guns and gathering in large numbers intimidating residents. Sgt Priestley took notes of this and asked Cllr Cockroft to forward him any specifics, he also asked if these incidents are being reported and if not he urges them to, so that patrols in the affected areas can be arranged.

Cllr Cockroft went on to tell Sgt Priestley about one her personal experience with the above and advised that for example, whilst she was unloading her shopping in the area that she lives, 2 males had been watching her causing her to feel intimidated and worried for her young Daughter.

Sgt Priestley asked if this issue was a daily occurrence to which Cllr Cockroft replied, Yes. Sgt Priestley assured Cllr Cockroft that this will be looked into.

The Chairman reiterated the importance of reporting incidents to the police at the time. He advised Sgt Priestley that he was pleased to hear that the off road team are targeting culprits and said that Cllr Allin would be too as he made a contribution to the equipment that they use.

Sgt Priestley was asked by the Chairman to stay to cover any questions that may arise within public participation.

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

Before Public Participation started the Chairman advised the public that if they are to make any contributions, these will be recorded within the minutes.

A couple residing within Cllr Kerr & Cllr Cockroft’s ward opened with a statement directed to Cllr Kerr & Cllr Cockroft, he had advised them previously about untaxed vehicles and an over occupied house within their ward.

Cllr Kerr asked if they could fill in the form in for the police that Cllr Cockroft had given them.

The lady responded that she had actually tried to call 101 and after 55 minutes the response was given that they could do nothing and the phone was put down! The Gentleman with her said that the groups gathering are Eastern European groups and seem to be taking over that area. He stated that he is not racist but he concurs with Cllr Cockroft that people are intimidating residents and another concern is that within one household they are aware that up to 9 people are actually residing there.

Cllr Cockroft replied to this and said that she will forward these concerns and urge Mansfield District Council to do more checks.

The LWS group handed the Clerk a statement and questions that they had prepared for the meeting, which was read out as follows:

We submitted the petition with regard to the Local Plan to Democratic Services prior to the full council meeting 26th July 2016 in the hope it would be heard at this stage. We intended to request to be able to speak at the meeting as per council guidelines. We were contacted by Mark Pemberton who advised it couldn’t be heard in July as he needed to clarify the information first. We received a letter of acknowledgement and then subsequent letters from Martyn Saxton stating that MDC had done the ‘minimum’ required to advertise and consult on the Local Plan.

We heard no more so on 5th September we rang Democratic Services to ask regarding progress and if it would be heard at the full council meeting 13th September. Mark Pemberton advised it would not be heard at a full council meeting and the letters we had were all the response we would receive from MDC; he suggested we should therefore go ahead and submit to the Local Government Ombudsman.

We then received a reply to one of our further questions regarding the consultation of the Local Plan from Martyn Saxton which stated that it had been heard at the council meeting 26th July 2016. The only mention we can find on the minutes is:

‘A petition containing over 1000 signatures concerning a consultation regarding the Local Plan. The petition would be considered in accordance with the council’s petition scheme.’

This scheme states: (abridged version)

‘If a petition contains more than 1000 signatures… then it will be debated in a full council public meeting. This means the issue raised in the petition will be discussed at a meeting which all councillors can attend and debate, although on some occasions this may not be possible and consideration of the petition will then take place at the following meeting… The petition organiser can present a petition to a full council meeting… The petition organiser will be given five minutes to present the petition at the meeting and the petition will then be debated by councillors.’

As several of the Warsop District Councillors were present at this meeting do they have any recollection of a debate on this issue?

Also would they share our disgust at the breakdown between Mansfield District Council and its electorate in not providing the correct information with regard to this petition and effectively denying over 1000 people the right to be heard in accordance with MDC’s own policy?

In view of the manner the concerns of a large part of Warsop electorate have been treated in this important matter; would you also share our worry that MDC will treat our concerns regarding the planning application at Stonebridge in the same off-hand manner?

We reported to Mansfield Planning Department in our objection letter to the Stonebridge planning application that slow-worms and other reptiles have been located on the fields planned for development and reported to the necessary authorities. It is clear from the planning portal that further information was requested from Pegasus regarding these and their reply is on site as 12th August 2016 (although the letter itself is not dated). The reply from Pegasus simply states they were not aware from their desktop search that reptiles were on the site so they didn’t look for them. They claim all mitigation procedures were included in their initial report.

Slow worms are a protected species and any planning application must have mitigation in place to ensure they come to no harm – this means a full reptile report is required. (MDC waived our right to an Environmental Impact Assessment despite the proximity of the build to a SSSI). The builders must look first to put a buffer zone in place (25 metres) or at a last resort relocate the reptiles at a suitable time in their breeding cycle.

Will Warsop Parish Council ensure that MDC planning get the required reports on this before any planning application is agreed and that this is factored into the outline planning application?

Currently there are planning applications, either agreed or waiting for consent, in the Warsop area for close to the 700 houses anticipated under the new Local Plan – what safeguards are there to ensure that Warsop does not end up with a further 1200 houses by 2030? Especially as Javid has ruled recently that land separating settlements is not sacrosanct.

The Chairman advised that the petition was received correctly and what will happen now is that it’s passed on to the relevant department, he sympathised with how the group are being handled and will certainly take it up with Bev Smith (CEO) at Mansfield District Council. The Chairman confirms that he had been told that the petition was being worked on and he has emailed Martyn Saxton for an update but had no reply up to yet. He assured the group and the public that he had hoped for more information and that he is being as honest as possible, he then updates the public on the latest news of the local plan which has had a revised time line. It was due to go to council in October/November for approval but has been delayed until next spring time when it should be finalised. This is partly due to objections made by LWS group. The Chairman added that Martyn Saxton had confirmed that all of the Environmental Impact studies should have been done and that the Parish Council will ensure that the pressure is kept on keeping these concerns alive.

A member of public had a question regarding number 5 and 6 on the planning applications list. He asked "why the Rectory was being knocked down and 5 luxury dwellings were being built?"

The Chairman informed the public that they could object to any planning application and if that application receives more than 3 it will then go to a full planning committee and not be a delegated decision. He also mentioned that anybody interested in speaking at the planning meeting would have to notify MDC planning and book an appointment.

Another member of public asked if the council had any information on the shops on Sherwood Street that were sold at auction?

The Chairman informed the council and members of the public that the shops were sold to 2 different buyers. The new owners are local and considerable activity has been taking place in the shops, getting them refurbed and ready to lease.

A member of public asked if there was anything that could be done to improve the shop fronts?

Cllr Kerr responded and stated that financial help is available in the form of grants that are specifically set up for improvements for shop frontage.

The Chairman thanked Sgt Neil Priestley for staying through public participation.

9527. MATTERS ARISING FROM PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

The Chairman stated Matters Arising out of Public Participation were dealt with in dialogue during Public Participation.

9528. DECLARATIONS BY MEMBERS OF PERSONAL AND PREJUDICIAL INTEREST

Big Warsop Partnership - Cllr. J. Cockroft.
Warsop Town Hall Management Group - Cllrs. J. Kerr, S. Moody and J. Allin.
Warsop Carnival - Cllr. J. Cockroft, S. Moody and S. Adey.
SOS - Cllrs. S. Moody and J. Kerr.
CCTV - Cllr. J. Allin.
Age Concern - Cllr. J. Allin.
Welbeck Colts - Cllr. A. Wetton.
Market Warsop Players - Cllr. S. Moody.
Meden Vale the Future - Cllrs. J. Allin and J. Kerr.
Warsop Youth Club - Cllrs. S. Moody and J. Cockroft.
Friends of the Carrs - Cllr. J. Kerr.
The Friends of Thynghowe - Cllr. B. Dawson
Warsop's Real Poppy Campaign - Cllr. L. Moody.
Assoc of Labour Councillors - Cllrs. A. Wetton, J. Allin, J. Kerr, S. Moody and S. Adey.
Inner Wheel - Cllr. J. Brearley.
Christmas Market - Cllr. J. Cockroft.

Cllr Crawford was removed from any declarations and Cllr Cockroft declared an interest in the Christmas Market.

9529. MINUTES OF F&GP MEETING – Tuesday 6th September, 2016.

All recommendations were agreed by council. It was agreed to accept the minutes as a true record.

9530. MINUTES OF PARISH COUNCIL MEETING – Monday 18th July 2016

It was agreed to accept the minutes as a true record.

9531. MINUTES OF SPECIAL PARISH COUNCIL MEETING – Wednesday 20th July 2016

Cllr Kerr proposed to accept the minutes and Cllr Dale seconded it. It was agreed to accept the minutes as a true record.

9532. AUDIT – ANNUAL RETURN

The Chairman informed the council that the internal audit had been passed and the annual return is ready to be signed for the external audit to take place.

Cllr Kerr explained that all the accounts information on the computers was lost and he thanked Amanda Cooper (Clerk) for preparing them in a short space of time. He also thanked Chris Wilson for her help during this time.
It was unanimously agreed for the Chairman to sign the annual return.

9533. TOWN HALL

This was covered in the minutes of the F&GP. Nothing new to update.

9534. CARNIVAL

Cllr Cockroft spoke about the AGM that was held on Thursday 15th September and that 2 new members had joined the carnival committee. The theme will be celebrating cultures and the carnival will be held on 2nd July 2017.

9535. BIG WARSOP

Nothing new to update. Cllr Kerr informed the council that Lesley Watkins had been asked about funding for the Royal British Legion parade from Cllr Adey and he has looked into possibly using his and Cllr Crawford’s allowance to help fund the parade.

9536. WARSOP & DISTRICT NEWS

No update due to Cllr S. Moody’s absence.

9537. NEIGHBOURHOOD PLAN

Cllr Kerr stated the following "I have spent 4 years working on this plan and if there is anybody here who thinks that it's an easy job, why don't they join the council".

The Chairman reiterated from the Special Council meeting that the comments/objections regarding Neighbourhood Plan will be taken on board and ideally see the amendments made before the next council meeting. The Neighbourhood Plan has to go a public referendum funded by MDC.

9538. BANK BALANCES AND ACCOUNTS FOR PAYMENT

Current Account - £22,727.41 (As of 23rd August 16)
Premier Account - £33,758.36 (As of 25th August 16)
2 Shires Credit Union - £15,000 (As of 6th July 16)
Interest - £92.51

All payments were agreed to be paid.

  • Payments already paid:
    • V01536. Hetts Lane Holiday Club - £250.00
    • V01537. Derbyshire Unemployed Workers Centre - £100.00
    • V01538. Richard Parker (Plumber) - £856.00
    • V01539. Warsop Infotech (Paper) - £15.00
    • V01540. D2 Studio - £1,000.00
    • V01541. Minster Cleaning - £588.83
    • V01542. Best4Pests - £155.00
    • V01543. Mortons - £1,226.00
    • V01544. AB Waste - £200.00
    • V01545. Konica Minolta - £64.92
    • V01546. Office essentials - £106.96
    • V01547. Chubb (Emergency Lighting) - £108.00
    • V01548. Chubb (Fire Alarm) - £98.40
    • V01549. Notts County Supplies - £34.86
    • V01550. Notts County Supplies - £21.50
    • V01551. Thomas Cook (Prepaid Mastercard) - £370.00
  • Payments due to be paid:
    • V01552. Cash - Delivery of W&DNs - £380.00
    • V01553. Cash - Postage - £70.00
    • V01554. Minster Cleaning - £588.83
    • V01555. Midland Stairlifts - £90.00
    • V01556. Konica Minolta - £188.35
    • V01557. Pearl Installations Ltd - £93.00
    • V01558. Notts County Supplies - £123.84

9539. NOTTINGHAMSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL

Due to the absence of Cllr Allin no update was given.

The Chairman mentioned the bus shelter on Cogging’s Lane that had been knocked down due to a road traffic accident. He stated that Nott’s County Council didn’t know about this and are now working with the police to resolve this matter and will keep the Parish Council informed.

9540. MANSFIELD DISTRICT COUNCIL

The Chairman informed the council that the flag would be flying at half-mast on the day of Cllr Crawford’s funeral.

Cllr Kerr suggested that the council look at donating a bench on the Carrs for Cllr Crawford. The Chairman suggested that this would go on the agenda for the next F&GP.

Cllr Dale informed the council that he had spoken to MDC planning department to ask for the parks to be tidied up and safe for children to use. Cllr Adey explained that she had to organise the removal of the youth hut in Meden Vale. The Chairman suggested that a concerted effort to speak to Andy Chambers from all the councillors and to try get the smaller parks better maintained.

Planning Applications

  • 123 Sherwood Street, Warsop – Single storey extensions and alterations to roof including dormer window units.
  • 46 Church Street, Warsop – Erection of single storey industrial building (Re-submission of 2015/0803/NT).
  • Rock House, Carter Lane, Warsop Vale – Two storey rear extension and associated alterations.
  • 97 Sherwood Street, Warsop – Replacement shop front and roller shutter.
  • The Rectory, Church Road, Church Warsop – Erection of 1 no detached dwelling with integral garage to provide replacement rectory. Alterations to vehicular access from highway.
  • The Rectory, Church Road, Church Warsop – Demolition of existing dwelling, erection of 5 no detached dwellings with associated garages. Alterations to vehicular access from highway.
  • Moorfield Farm House, Bishops Walk, Church Warsop – Works to 2 no trees covered by tree preservation order (TPO-122).
  • The Oaklands, Oakfield Lane, Warsop – Detached building at rear to form garden store.
  • Warsop Mill, Church Road, Church Warsop – Removal of 4 no trees and works to 5 no trees within a conservation area.

Item 6 on planning applications was brought to the council’s attention.
Cllr Kerr stated that the public need to put in complaints and objections to MDC planning department.

Cllr Adey informed the council she had visited residents in the area and the concerns being raised were the effects to the environment and traffic.

The Carrs

Nothing to update.

Meden Baths

Cllr Kerr expressed his disappointment at the lack of responses from Meden School however will be campaigning for more signatures over the coming weeks.

9541. DATE OF NEXT MEETING

Monday 17th October 2016

Council Pages

Contact

Tel: 01623 846 011
Mob: 07817 216 876