Back to Top

Meeting Minutes 14 March 2018

MINUTES of the Finance and General Purposes Working Party meeting held on WEDNESDAY 14th MARCH, 2018 at 5.30pm in the Town Hall.

Present:

Cllrs J. Allin (Chairman), J. Cockroft (Vice-Chairman) and J. Kerr.

Apologies:

Cllrs S. Moody and A. Wetton (MDC & NCC).
Members discussed adding a new member to the Finance and General Purposes Working Party and removing Cllr Wetton due to his commitments as a County, District and Parish Councillor.

RECOMMEND: Elect a new member who is willing to join the Finance and General Purposes Working Party.

Minutes

745. Declarations of Personal and Prejudicial Interest

Age Concern - Cllr. J. Allin.
CCTV - Cllr. J. Allin.
Meden Vale the Future - Cllr J. Allin.
Welbeck Colliery the Future - Cllrs J. Allin, J. Kerr.
Warsop Town Hall Management Group - Cllrs J. Kerr, S. Moody and J. Allin..
Staff Management - Cllrs J. Kerr and J. Cockroft.
Warsop Carnival - Cllr S. Moody.
SOS - Cllrs S. Moody and J. Kerr.
Welbeck Colts - Cllr. A. Wetton.
Market Warsop Players - Cllr S. Moody.
Warsop Youth Club - Cllrs S. Moody and J. Cockroft.
Friends of the Carrs - Cllr J. Kerr.
Assoc of Labour Councillors - Cllrs. A. Wetton, J. Allin, J. Kerr and S. Moody.
Christmas Market - Cllr J. Cockroft.

746. Stuart Whittle

Stuart Whittle attended the F&GP meeting and spoke to members about the current situation of Warsop Market. He stated that there weren’t enough stalls and variety to make it a great market. The market has a fruit and veg stall, pet stall and a bric-a-brac stall. Members asked Stuart about profits and losses, insurance, trade waste and other costs from the accounts sheet that he gave to members. Cllr Kerr said he would ask MDC about the cost of trade waste.
The Clerk said the insurance could potentially be covered by the Parish Councils insurance, she will find this out and update the Council. The Chairman stated that the Council tax needs looking into and the Parish Council need to see a current bank statement. Stuart said he would bring it in tomorrow as he would ask the bank to print one.

RECOMMEND: Stuart Whittle to provide the Council with the bank account information and the Council to decide what can be done about the market going forward.

747. Quotes – Disconnecting the Water Boiler

At February’s Parish Council meeting, it was agreed to replace the water boiler in the Town Hall kitchen with kettles. Three quotes were obtained to disconnect the water boiler as some users stated they would still use it and this affects the Parish Council’s service policy.

RECOMMEND: To use Richard Parker to carry out the work as he was the best value at £40 and has worked for the Parish Council on a number of occasions.

748. Quotes – Fixed Wire Remedial Works

A fixed wire test (which is carried out every 5 years) was completed in December 2017. Peter Clark (Pearl Installations) emailed the completed report to the Clerk with a quote for the work that is required. 2 other quotes were retrieved for the work.

RECOMMEND: Peter Clark (Pearl Installations) to complete the work as he has offered best value for money and has been used regularly by the Parish Council.

749. Quotes

The Clerk asked members if the Parish Council would consider using Pearl Installations (Peter Clark) as their electrical contractor for a 3-year period. The reasons for this are due to the Town Hall’s maintenance issues and the number of quotes that are being obtained each month. There are 11 different electrical items in the service plan which would mean 33 quotes would be needed. Parish Council staff are finding it difficult to retrieve the quotes needed because companies are refusing to quote as they aren’t accepted due to Pearl Installations always offering the best value.

RECOMMEND: Use Pearl Installations as the Parish Council’s contractor for a 3-year period and then it will be reviewed.

750. Consultation

The Clerk updated members with new information regarding Mike Johnson’s petition that was accepted as part of the consultation responses. A member of public has informed the Clerk that Infotech were asking people to sign the petition to save Warsop Infotech not the Town Hall and that’s why none of the other questions were answered. The Clerk asked Mike if he gave out the correct information and figures, he replied that he didn’t know what the figures were, so he couldn’t inform the people who were signing. The consultation advert stated that the public needed to respond to the Clerk and only 2 people who signed Warsop Infotech’s petition did this.
Cllr Cockroft stated that the consultation should be void because the time period was not long enough, there wasn’t enough planning behind it and there were no figures made available. The Chairman and Cllr Kerr agreed with Cllr Cockroft and suggested this should be done again.
Cllr Cockroft said she would be willing to help with a new consultation.

RECOMMEND: To start a new consultation in around 3 months-time to allow for planning and Cllr suggestions.

751. Mike Johnson (MP Letter, Police Internet & I.T. Support)

The Clerk received a letter from Ben Bradley, MP. Mike Johnson had booked an appointment to see the MP regarding his current situation with the Parish Council’s rent increase.

RECOMMEND: The MP’s letter will be discussed with Mike Johnson at the meeting that has been arranged between Warsop Parish Council and Warsop Infotech Group on Monday 19th March at 8.00pm.

752. Carnival

The Carnival Committee have written a letter to the Parish Council asking for £4000 to support this year’s carnival.

RECOMMEND: To pay the £4000 as this event benefits the whole community and in relation to the S137 legislation, it works out at £1.50 per head.

753. Warsop Youth Club

The Clerk updated members with new information that they weren’t aware of when donating to Warsop Youth Club. The S137 allowance per head is £7.57 (2017/18) and the youth club’s highest attendance is 95, this would mean the Council could give £719.15 and be within the amount specified in the S137 legislation.

RECOMMEND: To pay the youth club the amount of £719 that is acceptable under the S137 legislation.

754. C.A.B. 2019/20 Funding

The Clerk asked if the Parish Council could fund the C.A.B. surgery (£5000) for 2019/20 and look to see if we can find an organisation to match fund. This will help keep our reserves within the required limit and reduce the risk of an investigation from our external auditors.

RECOMMEND: To earmark £5000 from the Parish Council’s reserves to pay for C.A.B. for 2019/20 and to find an organisation to match fund.

755. Overtime Payment

Gemma Blagg has recently been asked to do some overtime due to cover for annual leave and meeting preparations. Normally staff would use the overtime for extra holidays but due to Gemma needing to use the overtime before 31st March and because she will be on annual leave from the end of March, it would be difficult to fit in extra days off. If she took extra days off now, it would affect the work she needs to complete now and leave too much work for her to catch up on when she is back.

RECOMMEND: To pay the overtime Gemma has acquired to reduce the impact on the Clerk and Parish Council’s workload.

756. Christmas Trees – Shops

The Clerk updated members that Parish Council staff are still chasing Christmas Trees from the shops. It is wasting Parish Council staffs time that could be better spent.

RECOMMEND: The Parish Council donate the Christmas trees to the businesses who currently have them every year and replace the faulty lights. This could be published in the Warsop & District News with the Chairman handing them over.

757. RBL Letter

The RBL have wrote to the Parish Council asking what the Parish Council’s plans for Remembrance are.

RECOMMEND: To inform RBL that at the November Parish Council meeting, Cllr Wetton agreed to pay for the road closure again and Cllr Adey agreed to pay for the same number of lamp post poppies that Cllr Kerr purchased. The Parish Council will also look into a marching band.

758. S137 Funding Deadlines

At the previous meeting a Cllr mentioned it would be a good idea to have set deadlines for the S137 grants. The Clerk said that this would help with producing accurate budgeting information.
Cllr Kerr also suggested that Cllrs should think about and suggest projects that the Parish Council would like to start within the Parish. He asked for revenue and capital funds to be added to the next F&GP agenda.

RECOMMEND: To set 2 deadlines, these would be 1st April to 30th June and 1st October to 31st December.
Ask Cllrs for suggestions on projects the Parish Council could start.

759. Any Other Business

Bid Writing – The Clerk asked if Gemma and herself could attend a bid writing course in Nottingham on Tuesday 12th June. The course is £95 per person and refreshments are included.

RECOMMEND: Council to decide if the Clerk and Gemma should attend. Also decide if any Cllrs should attend.
Glascraft Payment – The Clerk asked members if she could write a cheque to cash for Cllr Kerr’s award for the Pride of Warsop competition.

RECOMMEND: Write a cheque for £66 to cash for the payment of the award.

These will be presented to Full Council on 19th March 2018.

Council Pages

Contact

Tel: 01623 846 011
Mob: 07817 216 876